baslinux - Re: [BL] printing with lpr

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] printing with lpr
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 14:10:39 +1300

Sindi Keesan wrote:
> I am trying to get my printer working. It is plugged in properly and
> turned on. I installed lpr.tgz and did the three insmods in that order
> and typed lpd.

Did any of those commands produce output?

> I changed sh to bash in printcap

Why????????????????????????????????????????????

> on the line for generic printer.

Before we go any further, you need to post a copy of every
line in your /etc/printcap that does not start with a #

> Before I did this when I tried to print (lpr filename.txt)
> nothing happened at all.

Does your printer accept straight (unformatted) text?

> I typed lpq and it said 'no entries'.

Assuming that lpd is actually running (ps) and actually
received file, then it appears to have sent the file to
the printer.

> To test that nothing broke recently I used a text editor
> to type one line and tried to print that in DOS. Instead
> of the file I had written in DOS, the DOS text editor printed
> the file that I had been trying to send the printer with linux.

Obviously the file arrived (success!) and was sitting in the
printer's buffer.