baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2

  • From: "Sindi Keesan" <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 20:41:10 -0500 (EST)

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
>>
>> I installed xpdf and it works nicely to display, scroll,
>> change pages, and magnify to '5',
>
> Right-click to rotate.
Right click gives you a menu for left or right rotate.
I also read the man page and you can use the keyboard to move around in
the document and do a few other things.

>> First, I ran wp to install the printer modules.
>
> It's better to use insmod directly (or in a script) to
> install those modules.
Okay I will install manually next time,
>> kill 'pidof lp' gave me 'No such pid pidof lpd'
>
> You made an error. That should be:
> ---------------
> kill `pidof lp`
> ---------------
One of made an error here - is it kill 'pidof lpd' or kill 'pidof lp'

>> Jim then noticed that he had forgotten to plug the printer
>> cable into the computer.
>
> That's the cause.
I actually figured this one out on my own. I found it interesting that it
got as far as the queue when it was not plugged in, which means it
probably did go to the printer eventually but not in correct format.
>> -sOutputFile=- - I typed this exactly,
>
> Typing is risky (it is easy to make a mistake like you did
> above). I recommend block-copying the script from the
> email message and inserting it into an xterm running pico.
> I will try that next. I remember the problems with ' and ` in a script
for using man2html.

(Sorry about the blanks. Lynx is not too good at webmail forms).

>> on one line.
>
> The 'edit' alias does that automatically.
>
>> I did chmod +x ghostscript for the file in /var/spool/lpd/
>
> What file? I've got no ghostscript in my /var/spool/lpd
My mistake in typing this but I did eventually put deskjet.filter into
/var/spool/lpd/postscript and chmod +x deskjet.filter

> No I didn't. I've looked up my original message and Here
> is what it said:
> Make a /var/spool/lpd/postscript directory. In that directory,
> you put your filter script (in a file called deskjet.filter).
>
> You need to be more careful. Even a tiny error will stop
> this working.
I know. I made a few small copying errors but I think I fixed them. I
will try again, downloading the email and inserting into printcap with
pico. I don't like using xterm, too hard to read.
>> Would I need to rewrite printcap whenever I changed printers,
>> or resolutions?
>
> No. You set up different printers in /etc/printcap and select
> the one you want using the -P parameter for lpr.
Will this work even with all the lines in printcap remarked out with #
except for the one for postscript?
I will attempt to understand the man file for lpr.
Sindi Keesan