baslinux - Re: [BL] printing with lpr

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] printing with lpr
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 10:28:17 -0500 (EST)

> > When I tried to print with your wp (put the file in /tmp/document
> > as instructed in the faq) it also just fed a page.
>
> Does wp print when you use it normally (i.e. type some stuff from
> inside wp and then print it)? Note: lpd must not be running.

This time I typed a file with wp and wp loaded something to do with
printers (must be the modules) and printed it. Then I typed another test
file with pico and ran lpd and printed that with lpr okay, after which wp
no longer worked (because lpd must not be running). How do I turn off
lpd?

So lpr will print UNIX files but not DOS files. When Jim gets his little
text editor rewritten in C and compiled for Linux it will show me all the
Linux versus DOS line feeds. Are there already any small linux editors
that will do this, for instance Joe?

> Keep in mind that DOS files and Linux files are slightly different
> (carriage-return/linefeed). When you sent the raw file, it is
> possible that your printer is affected by that difference.
>
> If you are trying to print a text file, you might try converting
> it to DOS format before giving it to lpr. BasicLinux includes
> a utility for that:
> dos2unix --help

It looks like lpr will print UNIX but not DOS text files. The file that
would not print for me yesterday was a DOS text file.

> > I also tried printing with ghostscript:
> > gs -sDEVICE=deskjet filename.pdf | lpr.
> > That did not print either.

I don't have this working yet. Do I need to modify printcap before
ghostscript will work?