baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 13:21:12 +1300

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> I installed xpdf and it works nicely to display, scroll,
> change pages, and magnify to '5',

Right-click to rotate.

> and (in theory) can be printed

xpdf doesn't print directly for me (it just outputs a ps
file). So I open an xterm and lpr the ps file.

> So I tried to print the ps file with lpr. lpr filename.ps

Yeah, that's the same.

> First, I ran wp to install the printer modules.

It's better to use insmod directly (or in a script) to
install those modules.

> kill 'pidof lp' gave me 'No such pid pidof lpd'

You made an error. That should be:
---------------
kill `pidof lp`
---------------

> Then I typed lpr filename.ps and nothing happened and
> then lpq and the file was in the queue.

That means the printer did not take the file.

> Jim then noticed that he had forgotten to plug the printer
> cable into the computer.

That's the cause.

> -sOutputFile=- - I typed this exactly,

Typing is risky (it is easy to make a mistake like you did
above). I recommend block-copying the script from the
email message and inserting it into an xterm running pico.

> was I supposed to rename the - - to some file name?

No.

> I used pico -w to turn off linewrap so I could type it all
> on one line.

The 'edit' alias does that automatically.

> I did chmod +x ghostscript for the file in /var/spool/lpd/

What file? I've got no ghostscript in my /var/spool/lpd

> I notice that you told us to put deskjet.filter in
> /var/spool/lpd/ghostscript

No I didn't. I've looked up my original message and Here
is what it said:
Make a /var/spool/lpd/postscript directory. In that directory,
you put your filter script (in a file called deskjet.filter).

You need to be more careful. Even a tiny error will stop
this working.

> Would I need to rewrite printcap whenever I changed printers,
> or resolutions?

No. You set up different printers in /etc/printcap and select
the one you want using the -P parameter for lpr.

> What percentage of basiclinux users actually ever succeed in
> printing anything besides plain text?

It works fine for me.