baslinux - Re: [BL] Pine success! (& a bit on BL2 browsers)

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Pine success! (& a bit on BL2 browsers)
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 20:56:32 -0500 (CDT)

In case this got missed. I have gotten Pine 4.21 from the Slackware 7.1
CD installed without dependency issues on a pretty much stock BL2 install.
It works great for popmail/IMAP checking. Steven had asked about the
process for checking mail earlier, and seemed to be getting at whether or
not Pine acted as its own MRA (mail retrieval agent), automatically
downloading all messages from a pop/IMAP server to the local machine. The
standard way of setting up Pine for pop/IMAP access is to use it as a
"checker," i.e., a utility that lets you view and manipulate messages on
the server without downloading them to the local machine (though that can
be done, one message at a time, in the more standard configuration).

However, through some additional research and inquisition, I've
discovered that, with a very minor tweak (checking a certain option in the
configuration menu) that Pine can, through a simple sequential series of
keystrokes, be made to download all messages from the server to the local
machine and delete them from the server (I just tried it successfully on
my BL2 system with Pine 4.21). Thus, it can pretty faithfully approximate
the behavior of an MRA. For those who would like to use a newbie-friendly
email program, and at the same time have the program download all messages
form the server to the local machine (for offline reading and response
composition), Pine 4.21 can be made to work quite servicably. I suggest
it be offerred as an alternative email client for BL2.

James

PS I can send further instructions for setting up Pine 4.21 - either as a
pop/IMAP checker or as a client with pseudo-MRA functionality - if anyone
is interested.