baslinux - [BL] BL2 word processors

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL2 word processors
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 15:33:09 +0000

James wrote:

> Anyway, for your and Steven's benefit, I'll give the
> address again: http://www.nllgg.nl/Ted/ . Try it, you'll
> like it.

I'll definitely be trying Ted sometime; however, at the moment
I'm all tied up with browsers. For the last few days I've been
trying to compile konq/e (the embedded version of the Konqueror
browser). Unfortunately it is very picky about which version
of Qt is used to compile it with (apparently only a 12mb Qt
will do). I've also downloaded the Skipstone browser and am
trying to get it to work with the Mozilla package in Slack81.

As far as word processors go, the main candidates are Ted,
AbiWord and flwriter. I'd be interested to hear from users
running X on older PCs how well those word processors perform.
Even though flwriter is much slimmer than the others, I was
surprised to find it a little sluggish on my 486. I must
try Ted on that machine and see if it is any better.

Those of you wishing to try flwriter will find it here:
http://basiclinux.com.ru/download/flwriter.gz
The size of the file is 319kb. You may have to add a
library from Slackware 7.1 (use ldd to see).
gunzip flwriter.gz
chmod +x flwriter
ldd flwriter