baslinux - Re: [BL] X Windows and Web Browser

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X Windows and Web Browser
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 09:53:46 +0000

Yong Beng wrote:

> Hi guys...I followed excatly what the instruction told
> me to do and installed X-windows....However...I can't
> seem to find any web browser..

You can browse with links in X (but it is text-only).

> isssit installed when I installed x-windows??

The X installation gives you a wm and some basic X
utilities. It does not include a graphic web browser.

> if no...how do I go about it???thanks!

For BL1 the best graphical browser is Netscape 3.04
(and the BL1 X page has instructions for installing
it). However, with BL2, we are still investigating
the various options to determine which graphical
browser is best.

Slackware 7.1 has a package for Netscape 4.73 in
the /slakware/xap1 directory. It works on BL2.

Thanks to JP, links 2.1.9 (graphical) is available:
http://217.109.169.18/download/basiclinux
It works on BL2.

There are several other browsers that we are looking
at, including browseX, Skipstone, dillo and konq/e.
Hopefully, within a month or two, we will decide which
is best. Then I will provide detailed instructions on
how to install it.

If you decide to install Netscape4 or links2, please tell
us of your experiences (both good and bad).