baslinux - Re: [BL] Mail clients

  • From: Mark Glassberg <mark_glassberg AT valley.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Mail clients
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 08:17:49 -0400

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 09:37:23AM -0400, I wrote:
> I'm running BL1. My isp's smtp system is filtering my mail and will not
> accept it for delivery unless I am able to masquerade as my isp. I assume
> they want to see a return address which is the same as my machine's.
>
> I've solved the problem by installing a binary of Mutt 1.0.0 plus the re-
> quired libraries. Mutt uses sendmail as its mta; so I've installed the
> Slackware-3.5 sendmail package and created an /etc/sendmail.cf file that
> handles the masquerading.
>
> Unfortunately, the mailing process is very slow on a 20Mh 386; so I'm
> looking for another solution. Do you know if Pine can do masquerading?

I changed my fqdn from Basiclinux to the name of my isp, and opened a
user account in the name of my account on my isp. Surprise, surprise!
The BL1 mail script works! Can someone tell me how to redirect the
hand-off of mail from Mutt to sendmail? The messages in Mutt suggest
that the two programs talk to each other. I don't need those messages,
but they imply that the interaction is more than a simple pipe.