baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera 7.10 beta, graphical browser stuff

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera 7.10 beta, graphical browser stuff
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:28:51 -0400 (EDT)

> > They had not, as far as I could find, compiled anything
> > that would work with 2.1.x.
>

>From Steven:
> Using google, it took me three minutes to find Kermit binaries
> pre-compiled for Slackware 3.5, 3.6, 4.0 and 7.0. That first
> one should run on BL1!

I found LOTS of Kermit binaries compiled for Slackware 7.0 and 7.1 (at the
Kermit site, along with 3.5 and 4.0) but the first three that I tried
required the later library. I tried older versions of Kermit as well. I
got tired of downloading and installing these after a while, told Frank at
Kermit I was giving up and going back to DOS, and he compiled something
that would work with the older library. (In return for which I spent 5-10
hours helping him with his 'peace' and postal code projects).

I will eventually learn to upgrade the library. I have done harder things
before. Library 2.3.1 appears to be smaller than 2.2.5 so I may try that.
It is only 1/3 larger download than 2.1.3.

Other than copying the new library files to /lib and making new links
(with sln or maybe with RAMdisk BL2) what else would I need to change?

Some features new to Lynx 2.8.4 - backwards scrolling, L/R scrolling over
a wide virtual screen (I did not know about this), improved table
handling, autodetection of character set in the Linux version so you don't
need to change options each time you load a font... 12 pages of
improvemenents not even counting 'lots of bug fixes'.
lynx.isc.org/release/features.html

Opera 7 can be set not to show popups. I am tired of being asked to
download Macromedia Flash Player when I just want to read webmail. But
there are certainly a lot of new features I don't want.

Normally I try to use the oldest smallest version of any programs, but
browsers are an exception. Netscape 4 won't let me sign up a friend at my
webmail site - just goes in circles. (Lynx would.)