b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Someone knows?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Someone knows?
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 21:53:35 -0400

I would say HA-KTIYB XASAR HA-NIYQUD V-XASAR HADIGU$, since the DIYGU $ is, in my opinion, independent of the NIYKUD.
I think that the custom today is to routinely insert a yod after an unmarked xireq (leading to such disagreeable "official" spellings as אימא 'mother'), albeit with some exceptions. See here for the "rules":

http://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D7%9B%D7%AA%D7%99%D7%91_%D7%97%D7%A1%D7% A8_%D7%A0%D7%99%D7%A7%D7%95%D7%93
In fact, here:

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/i/t/k/k0417.htm

the unpunctuated word HAMITEM of Nu. 17:6 is written with a yod, thus: המיתם

In Nu. 17:6 HAMITEM has a (in my opinion, pre-NIYQUD) dagesh in the letter T to recall the xireq under the letter M, suggesting, by the antiquity of the dagesh, that the word was "always" lacking a yod.
If I were younger I would start a campaign for the restoration of the dgeshim system in the KTIYB XASAR HA-NIYQUD, as it was in ancient times, before the invention of the NIYQUD, thus: אמּא .

In 1Sa 2:25 LAHAMIYTAM lacks a dagesh in the T since the word is written in full with a yod after the xireq. The yod hints to the xireq, making a further dagesh hinter unnecessary, suggesting, by the antiquity of the dagesh, that the word was "always" written with a yod.

Isaac Fried, Boston University