b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Someone knows?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Someone knows?
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 07:02:17 +0200

Isaac,

It is a good thing to guess about what could be the vowel sounds in the
distant past of the Hebrew language.

But before inserting a yud whenever you think that there can be a
misunderstanding if you do not insert it.... it would be better to submit
the problem to the Academy so that they might consider the problem and, if
possible, provide a solution to it.

Nevertheless, there are many ambiguities in the hasar haniqud which can only
find a solution through the context.

And so,

1. BNW ---------- in us (Neh 5:8)
2. BNW --------- his son (Gn 17:23)
3. BNW --------- they built up (Rt 4:11)

It would be good wiping out the ambiguity in these cases (as well as in
other similar ones).... but... I suspect that this a hard task to do.

In cases where misunderstanding is easily possible, the Academy advises to
write the necessary points.
And so, in QNW, *his nest*, we'll write a dot under Q -but we will NOT
insert a yod- if there is a risk of mistaking it for QNW, *they bought*.

Heartly

Pere Porta

--
Pere Porta