b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Someone knows?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Someone knows?
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 15:57:44 -0400

Some thoughts on KEN - KIN-O, LEB - LIB-O, etc. :

1. The augmented form KIN-O, 'his nest', with an "I" sound, evokes the suspicion that it possibly preserves an older KIN noun form. Namely, that in the distant past Hebrew lacked the O and E sounds, and had to do with only the "basic" A, I, U sounds.

2. The fact that KIN-O has a dagesh in the letter N implies that the xireq sound was the accepted reading already at the time of the DAG $ANIYM, well before the time of the NAQDANIYM.

3. You are right that the "official" XASAR HANIYQUD spelling of KIN-O is without a yod, but I do insert it whenever I think it may lead to a misunderstanding.

Isaac Fried, Boston University