b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Someone knows?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Someone knows?
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 07:24:28 +0200

Good spanner, Karl.

I think the likelihood is 100 %.
You will ask why, of course.

Remark:

1. In 1S 17:51 we deal with the so called "polel". This is called "polel"
because of the doubling of the L, namely the third (or last) root consonant
of every stem.
Polels -and also Hithpolels- double every last consonant, be it T or not.
There are plenty of examples: in Jb 30:20 we have "wa-titbonen", and you
will understand (doubling of N), from "byn" (Dn 10:1); "sorer", he turned
aside (Lm 3:11), from "swr", to turn aside (Is 7:17) ; "uml'lw", they were
feeble (Jr 14:2), from "amal", be feeble...

2. In 2Ch 22:11 we haven't a "doubled tau". Yes, from a material point of
view there are two taus, yes. But the second tau is but the heh suffix of
the feminine 3rd person singular, which heh becomes tau in the "construct".
The same, for instance, as in birkaty, my blessing (Is 44:3), from b'rakah,
blessing (Js 15:19).

Look at Jdg 14:17 for a case of identical pattern to that in 2Ch 22:11.

3. Now, you're right that HMM has HMTM for the Qal Past, 2nd person plural
masculine: look at Js 6:3 (1st word in the verse): it is from "sabab" (Ez
42:19)

With all this, maybe you should review again the stuff.

Pere Porta

--
Pere Porta