b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Someone knows?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Someone knows?
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 19:22:08 +0200

Isaac,

one must carefully distinguish between the niqud and the unniqud.
Noun אִמָּא, mum, is spelled )YMA) in the unniqud because nouns non strictly
Hebrew and all the borrowings from foreing languages...... follow the rule
of including a yod for the hireq.

And so,

אינטרנט, internet

The "strict" Hebrew nouns having vowel hireq (sound "i") take no yod
whenever the basic noun hasn't.
Thus, QIN.FH, her nest (Pr 27:8) takes no yod because Q"N (Is 16:2) lacks
it.

Regards from

Pere Porta

--