b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ejectment vs. extermination

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ejectment vs. extermination
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 15:23:54 -0600

Hello Yigal:

I appreciate your clear and instructive comments.

I understand, on the one hand, we have the hebrew original language document
and different hebrew versions of it.

I also understand that, on the other hand, we have the alien language
translations of the hebrew language document.

And since word for word transference from one language to another generally
fails, for the reasons you state, translation necessarily becomes
interpretation.

So, perhaps if I comprehend the difference, it boils down to (at least in
this instance):

a. the hebrew language employs the "pure" word (as in "pure mathematics");
and

b. the alien (to hebrew) language translations employ the "applied" word(s)
(as in "applied mathematics").

So, "b" facilitates understanding of, but never equates with, "a."

I also note that verse 53 in this instance could imply the "missing" phrase
from verse 52 " כל ישבי " , by reason of the proximity of verse 53 to
verse 52.

As for "arrogance," I think perhaps you miss the context of these
manuscripts/books (5th, 10th, 15th and 20th centuries). We are talking about
money & power here; and lots of both.

http://www.gloucestertimes.com/business/x645268618/Bible-publishers-go-digital-to-pump-up-sales?keyword=topstory

http://www.oremus.org/liturgy/coronation/cor1953b.html

Hence, the unpleasant question must be asked. Were these manuscripts/books
created in a vacuum (as the discussion in b-hebrew forum generally
proceeds); or with due regard to the real world political and economic
realities (and implications of such manuscripts/books) ? For if so, the
meaning of the words in the manuscripts/books becomes subject to change;
witness the most prominent and controversial word of all .... עולם .

Here in b-hebrew, it just means "concealed;" but out in the real world ....
$billions and kingdoms turn on "eternity," the new incarnation of עולם ; and
the power that little word invests in the purveyors of it.

Who was the sponsor of the codices sinaiticus and vaticanus? Constantine the
Great? Surely, the average individual or business lacked the $millions in
today's money necessary to produce such a manuscript. Likewise, for the
targumims and the leningrad codex.

regards,

fred burlingame