b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Song of Songs 1:12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <pzellmer AT sc.rr.com>
  • To: "'fred burlingame'" <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: 'B-Hebrew' <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Song of Songs 1:12
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 15:17:07 -0500

Fred,

עד עולם is a prepositional phrase which may be literally translated, "up to
perpetuity." עולם is frequently found with other spacial prepositions, like
מן, "from" (referring to the past), and ל, "to."

Considering your penchant for using non-standard English syntax, you probably
would appreciate that the Hebrew sometimes omits the head of the
prepositional phrase when עד is used, resulting in the same concept as עד
עולם. Basically, what is being said in such cases is, "Something is true
until." Until what? Until the period of time being talked about (even if it
is never specified) is over. This type usage, by the way, can be found in
numerous languages around the world.

Anyway, the most basic meaning of עד is not "forever," but is the
prepositional idea of "to the point of."

Hope this helps,

Paul Zellmer