b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] ejectment vs. extermination

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] ejectment vs. extermination
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 10:10:46 -0600

Hello all:

1. In the 5th century, western language manuscript, translation of numbers
33:52, we have the operative verb "destroy."

http://apostolic.interlinearbible.org/numbers/33.htm

2. In the 10th century, original language manuscript, transmission of
numbers 33:52, we have the verb "drive out."

http://www.tanach.us/Tanach.xml#Num33:52-33:52

3. In the 15th century, eastern language manuscripts, translations of
numbers 33:52, we have both "kill" and "eject."

http://cal1.cn.huc.edu/searching/targumsearch.html

http://www.jstor.org/pss/1454024

4. In the 20th century english language book, the verb "drive out" appears.

http://www.biblestudytools.com/numbers/33-52.html

5. The expert advises that ..... just as today numerous different versions
of the story circulated; so it was yesterday. And furthermore, the greek
manuscript implies an earlier hebrew text, precedent to and different from
...the masoretic text.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emanuel_Tov#Development_of_the_Bible_text'

6. The committee however, observes that a correct version exists and is for
sale.

http://www.biblegateway.com/niv/Translators-Notes.pdf

7. All of this effort and energy directed at the little word ירש ; and yet
we know not whether it means to eject or to exterminate? ... A significant
difference indeed between the two meanings.

regards,

fred burlingame.