b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ejectment vs. extermination

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Paul Zellmer <pzellmer AT sc.rr.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ejectment vs. extermination
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 19:08:31 -0600

I agree with much of your comments.

Speculation is nice, but I have to go with what we've got. And basically, we
have four sets of manuscripts/books:

a. 5th century greek manuscripts;

b. 10th century hebrew manuscripts;

c. 15th century aramaic manuscripts; and

d. 20th century english books.

I choose "b" because of the limitations inherent in the translation process
yielding "a," "c," and "d."

And my un-scientific experience with these four sources impels to me the
originality of "b," beginning ... but not ending, with the
hyper-controversial little word .... עולם .
regards,

fred burlingame