b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] one-to-one rendering of olam

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Hedrick Gary <GaryH AT cjfm.org>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] one-to-one rendering of olam
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 18:53:21 -0600

Fred, did you go to the archives? It's been discussed here before. 1 Chron.
23:13 is like Deut. 15:17 in the sense that it refers to something that is
unending for a particular person (in this instance, an Aaronic priest)
because that priestly position extends throughout his lifetime. But in other
contexts, the referent is God's lifetime, which is surely eternal and
unending. And it's the same word.

One problem we have here in B-Hebrew is that people come and go—and some of
them have an underlying agenda or something they are trying to "prove" from
the Hebrew Bible while they're here. For instance, ad olam might come up in a
discussion about the New World Translation. There are numerous issues with
the NWT, and one of them is whether or not hell is unending. It's a longtime
bone of contention between the Watchtower Society and traditional Christendom.

But here's the deal. If you're looking for an iron-clad, one-size-fits-all
translation of ad olam that fits every biblical occurrence, it's just not
going to work because in each occurrence, the translation has to be
contextualized.

Just because ad-olam means a relatively short period of time (a man's
lifetime) in 1 Chron. 23:13 doesn't mean it has that same import in Ex. 3:15,
where God's Name is said to be "forever," or even in Psalm 9:8 (9:7 in the
English Bible), where Yahweh reigns "to forever" (l'olam, which is similar in
force to ad olam).

We have the same thing in English. If I say something is "cool," it might
mean (1) it's at a lower temperature or (2) it's something undeniably
fantastic. The only way to determine which meaning applies in any given
instance is to consult usage and context.

Gary Hedrick
San Antonio, Texas USA