b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] one-to-one rendering of olam

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hedrick Gary <GaryH AT cjfm.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] one-to-one rendering of olam
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 19:44:24 -0600

Hello Gary:

Thanks for your comments. Please allow me to respond.

1. I have not reviewed the archive you referenced.

2. I do have an agenda by coming here: to learn more of biblical hebrew
language. That's the limit of it, for however long I might be here.

3. I appreciate your comments concerning olam. My experience with all uses
of the word in the masoretic text leads me to a somewhat different
understanding of the word. I see the word as meaning "a concealed (or
hidden) period of time." Other parts of the text sometimes reveal the length
of that particular time, such as jonah in the whale for 3 days. And other
instances of the word sometimes contain no such revelation of the length of
time intended.

4. Hence, for the verse in question I see the term of the priesthood duties
and functions as simply an unknown period of time. The later disclosure (in
jeremiah) of the subsequent destruction of the first temple, including the
loss of the aaronic line of priests, confirms to me that the period of time
intended in this verse consumed approximately 1400-587 b.c.

regards,

fred burlingame