b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] one-to-one rendering of olam

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hedrick Gary <GaryH AT cjfm.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] one-to-one rendering of olam
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 08:10:29 -0600

Hello Gary:

Thanks for your comments.
I am simply saying עולם in the biblical hebrew language means "concealed,"
or "hidden" or "unknown" ... no more ... no less.

Attaching that word to יהוה changes עולם meaning, not. As your quoted verse
advises: אלהים of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, certainly excludes not the
possibility of אלהים of all others. And likewise, יהוה לעולם excludes not
the possibility of eternal.

Exodus 3:15 simply contextualizes עולם in terms of time and a specific
person, versus another parameter like size or covenant.

Many people expect, demand and even claim to know a full revelation of the
entire nature of יהוה . Isaiah's one line response: 45:15.

The nice reproduction of lexicon excerpts that bryant furnishes in a
subsequent post, represents a lot of eternal theology added onto a word
whose plain meaning in the biblical hebrew language meaning includes
"hidden," rather than eternal.

People enjoy wonderful freedom to believe whatever they want. עולם however,
means eternal ... not ..., in the leningrad codex.

regards,

fred burlingame