b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew language and thought forms, was: "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew language and thought forms, was: "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 06:48:06 -0800

On 11/21/06, Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org> wrote:
On 21/11/2006 02:18, K Randolph wrote:
> David:
>
> Whereas the Greek meaning of grace outside of the New Testament may
> have had the meaning of freedom from the observance of the law, inside
> the New Testament it had the Hebrew understanding of freedom from the
> penalty of the law.

What Hebrew and Greek words are we talking about? Which words in either
language to you consider to have this meaning "freedom from the penalty
of the law", and on what basis? For the Hebrew, "I look for actual uses
in Tanakh, not some speculation based on disputable theories." For the
Greek, similarly from the New Testament but perhaps that should be offlist.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org

Those are the questions I should have asked instead of answering the way I
did.

I reacted to a theological treatise, so now I push Peter's question
back to David Fenton, what words are used? I know that the concept is
taught in the New Testament that we are free from the penalty of the
law, but that is not contained in one word, as Peter so correctly
pointed out. What is the Hebrew antecedent? Are we again dealing with
a phrase instead of a single word? Where is it found in Tanakh?

Thanks, Karl W. Randolph.