b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew language and thought forms, was: "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew language and thought forms, was: "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:38:15 -0800

Dear Karl,

It suffices. See also my reply to Peter. Also I was thinking of the Hebrew
word TSADDIQ and cognate and the Greek word DIKAISOSUNH and cognates. Both
refer to "conforming to a norm." That norm would be legal, ethical, social,
cultural, etc. To the Hebrew, the conformity to a norm was a divine norm as
revealed in the Torah, i.e. God's character as revealed in the Law of Moses
(later to mean the entire Tanakh). To the Greek, while early in Greek
literature it referred to the divine norm revealed by the gods, it primarily
referred to the legal or social/cultural norms. In fact, Genesis 38 has
Judah saying of Tamar that "she is more righteous than I." Now, here is
where a mixture of cultural and legal are mixed.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III