b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] We and us

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] We and us
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 05:45:13 -0800

David:

Thanks for your response.

In other words, as I understand your letter, there has been only one
study made on the phenomenon, and it covered only a small minority of
the data. This is not what I was looking for, an incomplete treatment
of the subject. This is what I mean is too early to make comparisons
with practices in other languages, as we don't know yet what it means
in Hebrew.

I missed your one and only earlier message concerning immediacy vs
non-immediacy, found that you are unsatisfied with his vague
description. In that message it was mentioned that he had analyzed
only Samuel and Kings.

That God uses אנכי for himself is an indication that politeness is not
the function. That men use it shows that it is not a theological term,
i.e. limited to God. I think it is a mistake to call it a
grammatization, as we are trying to find out when to use one term, and
when to use another making this a vocabulary issue.

Yours, Karl W. Randolph.