b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew language and thought forms, was: "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: davidfentonism AT aim.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew language and thought forms, was: "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 17:48:09 -0500

In the Bowman (1960) text, Hebrew Thought Compared with Greek, we read
that, "The peculiar character of the Hebrew language and its manner of
expression must have been obvious to every European who has read the Old
Testament in Hebrew; Luther made occasional reference to it, and Herder
described the distinctive traits of Old Testament poetic art[1]. The question
of the formal and real relationship between Israelite-Jewish and
Greek-Hellenistic thinking became for Christianity and the Church a live
problem, and the occasion of penetrating theological investigations, only
after Adolf Harnack had called attention to its great importance for the
development of dogma in the early Christian Church, a Church endowed with
Greek thinking and mental life, and after he had maintained that the Gospel
was hellenized and that dogma was a product of the Greek intellect in the
soil of the Gospel[2]"

I think the principle about difference between Hebrew and Greek thoughtforms
is further illustrated by the respective understanding of Torah (i.e.,
instructions on the one hand and law on the other).

Regards,
David
[1] J. G. Herder, Vom Geist der ebraischen Poesie
[2] A. Harnack, History of Dogma