b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Nun-Tav-Vet root

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Isaac Fried" <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "'Isaac Fried'" <if AT math.bu.edu>, "'K Randolph'" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: 'B-Hebrew' <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Nun-Tav-Vet root
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 17:24:47 -0500

I am sorry. My previous message sent from a MAC seems to be directionally
misaligned. I am resending it from a PC.

The root נתב (NTB) is but a variant of the root נצב (NTZAB), 'erect.' The
spatial sense of this extension is not revealed to us by the conciseness of
the tri-literal root. In fact, the extension of נתיב is at once upward,
widthwise, and lengthwise. מעגל=מה+עגל is a variant of גל, 'wave, mound'.
The root עגל (AGL) appears also in the form עקל (AKL), with גל=קל.
Isaac Fried