b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "'Gary Hedrick'" <garyh AT cjfm.org>, "'B-Hebrew List'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 12:36:29 -0500

> From: Gary Hedrick Sent: Sunday, November 12, 2006 12:16 AM
>
> לז וְעַל-אֱלֹהֵי אֲבֹתָיו לֹא יָבִין וְעַל-חֶמְדַּת נָשִׁים
> וְעַל-כָּל-אֱלוֹהַּ לֹא יָבִין כִּי עַל-כֹּל יִתְגַּדָּל׃
>

> Is there anything in the B-Hebrew archives regarding chemdat nashyim
> (“desire of women”) in Daniel 11:37? Many commentators say this Hebrew
> phrase means the prophesied “king” will be gay; that is, he will have no
> regard for the desire of women. To me, it seems more logical to take it
> as
> a reference to the Messiah, who was the Desire of Women in the sense that
> young Jewish women wished and hoped that they might become the mother of
> the
> promised Messiah.
>

> Doesn’t Haggai 2:7 have a similar Hebrew construction (“desire
> of all nations”) as a clear reference to the coming Messiah?
>

> I guess I’m just surprised that so few commentators (almost none, in
> fact) share my interpretation here. In fact, the few times this view is
> even mentioned by exegetes is in a derogatory way. That’s why I was
> hoping
> someone could direct me to the B-Hebrew archives (or somewhere else) for
> any
> light the Hebrew grammar and context might shed on this issue. Thank you,
>

> Gary Hedrick
>
> San Antonio, Texas USA

[Steve Miller] Gary,
1st, The Complete Bible Commentary edited by Feinberg gives both
interpretations you mention re. "desire of women":
"This has been taken as a ref to the Messiah, of whom Jewish women longed to
be the mother; or of sexual desire. Actually, no satisfactory meaning has
been found."

Is the meaning of the phrase "desire of women":
1) Something many women desire - leading to Messiah or false god meaning
2) Desire FOR women - leading to the gay antichrist interpretation
3) A highly desired woman - similar to "the daughter of women" in Dan 11:17
which referred to Cleopatra

Meaning #1 is supported by 1 Sam 9:20 clearly, and I think also by Hag. 2:7.
Meaning #3 is supported by Dan. 11:43, and Hag 2:7 possibly.
Meaning #2 is contrary to all uses of the word in Tanach, and is therefore
wrong. Also, it says "he will not consider the desire of women", not "he
will not desire women".

1 Sam 9:20 ... And on whom is all the desire of Israel set? Is it not on
thee, and on all thy father’s house? (regarding Saul)

Dan 11:43 But he will rule over the treasures of gold and silver, and over
all Egypt’s desirable things. ...

Dan 11:17 ... And he shall give the daughter of women to him, to destroy it.
But she shall not stand, nor be for him.

---------------------------------

I agree with the previous posts that according to the context, "the desire
of women" refers to a false object of worship especially appealing to women
rather than men. Like "the queen of heaven" in Jer. 44:15, 25. If the king
in 11:37 is antichrist (2 Thes. 2:3-4), then in the context of modern times,
it could refer to the worship of Mary & the institution which promotes it,
which antichrist destroys (Rev. 17:16-17).

Re. Hag 2:7. I believe it should be translated "the desire of all the
nations shall come", not "the desirable things of the nations shall come"
because "desire" is singular. The verb "come" is plural, which I think
indicates that the desire of all the nations is actually God Himself.

Malachi 3:1 Behold, I send My messenger, and he shall clear the way before
Me; and the Lord, whom ye seek, will suddenly come to His temple, and the
messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in, behold, he comes, says the
LORD of hosts.

Isaiah 11:10 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the root of Jesse,
that stands for an ensign of the peoples, unto him shall the nations seek;
and his resting-place shall be glorious.

-Steve Miller
Detroit
www.voiceinwilderness.info