b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 6:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 6:8
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 23:18:26 -0500

>HH: "To cause me to hear a call for help" might be "to cry out to me."

SM: Why would the angel, who speaks as God, call desperately for Zechariah's
help?

HH: You are not consistent with the usage of the
verb elsehwhere. I have two other lexicons, which
also agree with HALOT, BDB and DCH (Dictionary of
Classical Hebrew)..

SM: The qal verb Z`Q always means to cry for help. The niphal always means
to be gathered together for an emergency. The hiphil has 2 meanings: to call
together for an emergency (exactly the active form of the niphal) or to
cause to cry out for help. Where is the inconsistency?

>HH:"He caused me to hear a cry."

SM: Why is the angel crying for help?

>HH: This could be equivalent to "He summoned"
>me, as Kelton said, or "He implored me,"
>"alerted me," "signaled me."

SM: For what emergency is the angel summoning Zechariah? Implored, alerted
and signaled seem to be getting farther away from the meaning of Z`Q.

The more I study Z`Q and Zech 6, the more I think that "and it [or he]
caused me to cry out." Is the only way to translate the beginning of Zech
6:8.

-Steve Miller
Detroit