b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 6:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 6:8
  • Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 22:27:07 -0600

Dear Steve,

HH: Some hiphils are strange. There are
internally causative hiphils. This is evidently a
strange one. Here is the definition for it in HAL:

hif: impf. wayaz{e†q, yaz{-îqu®; impv.
haz{eq-; inf. haz{-îq: -1. to utter a plaintive
cry Jb 35:9; -2. to summon (the militia) Ju
4:10-13; 2S 20:4f; -3. to make a proclamation Jon
3:7; -4. with acc. to call out to someone Zech
6:8 cj. 10:9 (w§}az{-îqe†m, alt. as 2). ¯
Der. cj. *za{aq, z§{a†qa†h.

HH: "To cause me to hear a call for help" might be "to cry out to me."

SM: Thanks Harold. In HAL: What does the cj. 10:9 mean after Zech 6:8?

HH: It means that conjecturally this might be the right reading at Zech 10:9.

HAL gives a different meaning for almost every instance. I would give Zech 6:8 the same meaning as Job 35:9 "By reason of the multitude of oppressions they make the oppressed to cry" (AKJV)

HCSB Job 35:9 "People cry out because of severe oppression; they shout for help from the arm of the mighty."
NIV Job 35:9 "Men cry out under a load of oppression; they plead for relief from the arm of the powerful.

HH: You are not consistent with the usage of the verb elsehwhere. I have two other lexicons, which also agree with HALOT, BDB and DCH (Dictionary of Classical Hebrew)..

"He caused me to hear a cry."

SM: I don't know enough to say that it is not possible. But it is not as straightforward as "caused me to cry".

HH: Yes, but that's apparently not what the verb means. If a verb occurs in numerous places, and elsewhere it is a simple verb of speech, despite the Hiphil form, then that's what is probable here.

HH: This could be equivalent to "He summoned" me, as Kelton said, or "He implored me," "alerted me," "signaled me." Whether verbs take prepositions is often a feature of a specific language. Verbal ideas that in one language take a preposition might not in another language. So there could be in Hebrew ideas like "he yelled me," "he screamed me," or something like that (caused me to hear a yell, scream, etc.).

SM: I have never seen "he yelled me" etc in the Hebrew. If you know of a case please show me.

HH: No, I'm just saying that the use of prepositions varies from language to language. Verbs that take prepositions in one language do not necessarily do so in another for a similar word.

By the way, I notice that in your replies, the Hebrew Unicode is messed up. Are you seeing the Hebrew?

HH: No, I have an IMAC with Internet Explorer, and it doesn't handle Unicode the last time I checked.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard