b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 6:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 6:8
  • Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 21:44:59 -0500

Kelton Graham wrote:
Well, I'd imagine you could not say " he caused me to cry out" because the
first singular pronoun is a direct object.

SM: Kelton, thanks for answering. Why would this be different than, for
example, Gen 20:13, "when God caused me to wander". כַּאֲשֶׁר הִתְעוּ אֹתִי
אֱלֹהִים . The first person singular pronoun is a direct object of the
hiphil verb, so "me" is the one who is caused to wander. In the same way, me
is the one who is being caused to cry out in Zech 6:8.

KM: So if you want to take it as a causative, you would get something like

"and he caused a cry to me."

SM: Why make such a strange contortion? If the qal verb is "cry", the
straightforward causative would be "caused me to cry". Also you've changed
the direct object, me, into an indirect object.
Thanks,
-Steve Miller
Detroit