b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 6:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "'Harold R. Holmyard III'" <hholmyard AT ont.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 6:8
  • Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 23:11:58 -0500

HH: Some hiphils are strange. There are
internally causative hiphils. This is evidently a
strange one. Here is the definition for it in HAL:

hif: impf. wayaz{e¦q, yaz{–îqu®; impv.
haz{eq-; inf. haz{–îq: -1. to utter a plaintive
cry Jb 35:9; -2. to summon (the militia) Ju
4:10-13; 2S 20:4f; -3. to make a proclamation Jon
3:7; -4. with acc. to call out to someone Zech
6:8 cj. 10:9 (w§}az{–îqe¦m, alt. as 2). Ý
Der. cj. *za{aq, z§{a¦qa¦h.

HH: "To cause me to hear a call for help" might be "to cry out to me."

SM: Thanks Harold. In HAL: What does the cj. 10:9 mean after Zech 6:8? HAL
gives a different meaning for almost every instance. I would give Zech 6:8
the same meaning as Job 35:9 "By reason of the multitude of oppressions they
make the oppressed to cry" (AKJV)

HH: This might be a case like section 27.3c in Waltke-O'Connor describes,
where a Hiphil verb expecting two objects drops one. Just as a verb that is
ordinarily transitive in the Qal can appear without an object, so Hiphils
that normally take two objects can appear with only one, which is usually a
person. Waltke-O'Connor give the following as examples of "three place
predicates" (one subject and two objects):

1) They stripped Joseph of his coat (they caused Joseph to put off his coat)
(Gen 37:23).
2) You shall cause this people to inherit the land (Josh 1:6).

HH: As examples of this type of verb where one object is dropped, they give:

1) Did I not inform you (lit. "cause you to hear") (Isa. 44:8).

2) just as he showed you (lit., "caused you to see") on the mount (Ex 27:8)

3) I teach you (lit., "Cause you to know") today (Prov 22:19).

SM: In all these, the 2nd object, is not really dropped. It is implied.

HH: So here the verb might take another object "cry," but it might be dropped:

"He caused me to hear a cry."

SM: I don't know enough to say that it is not possible. But it is not as
straightforward as "caused me to cry".

HH: This could be equivalent to "He summoned" me, as Kelton said, or "He
implored me," "alerted me," "signaled me." Whether verbs take prepositions is
often a feature of a specific language. Verbal ideas that in one language
take a preposition might not in another language. So there could be in Hebrew
ideas like "he yelled me," "he screamed me," or something like that (caused
me to hear a yell, scream, etc.).

SM: I have never seen "he yelled me" etc in the Hebrew. If you know of a case
please show me. I searched for "to me" in KJV. There were too many to look
exhaustively at, but looking at the first 50 or so, all were in Hebrew as לִי
or אֵלַי. (lamed yod or aleph lamed yod)

By the way, I notice that in your replies, the Hebrew Unicode is messed up.
Are you seeing the Hebrew?

Thanks,
-Steve Miller
Detroit