b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Zech 6:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Zech 6:8
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 21:56:43 -0500

The first part of Zech 6:8, וַיַּזְעֵק אֹתִי, is mostly translated “And he
cried out to me”, which translates the hiphil verb as though it was qal. And
treats the אֹתִי as an indirect object rather than a direct object.

A few translations (Jubilee2000, YLT, Stone Tanach) translate it, as “And
he called me” which is similar to the way the hiphil verb is translated in
Judges 4:10 & 13.

Why doesn’t any translation translate it as, “and it [or He] caused me to
cry out” which seems to be the most straightforward and the most meaningful?
This would attach the first part of verse 8 to the end of verse 7. The
strong horses going to & fro through the earth in verse 7 caused Zechariah
to cry out due to the great suffering caused by the strong horses.

Thank you,

-Steve Miller,

Detroit