b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Alter's translation (Was: Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Alter's translation (Was: Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II)
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:41:01 -0600

Dear Herman,

2005/11/22, Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>:> On 22/11/2005 05:42, Herman Meester wrote:>> >First of all we would have to be happy that Alter respected Hebrew> >syntax unlike virtually all other commonly used translation, that in> >fact all misunderstand Genesis' ouverture.> >> >>> Well, I can argue that one with you if you like, but it is a separate> issue. I don't think you will find any other place in the Hebrew Bible> where a WAYYIQTOL verb is preceded by a clause subordinate to it, which> seems to be Alter's grammatical understanding. The only objection to the> traditional "In the beginning God created..." understanding is that the> first word of the Bible is indefinite and possibly construct - but then> possibly that very first vowel point was really intended to be qamats> rather than sheva.
(I decided not to discuss with English speakers the things that aregrammatically correct or not in English, because as a non-nativespeaker I wouldn't really be able to judge.)
However, here I do strongly disagree with those who want to keep thetraditional translation "In the beginning G"d created...". It issimply not what the Hebrew says.

HH: The way you run your text together with the person you're responding to sometimes results in a big mass of words and is confusing. It would be good if you could separate your response from the person's writing to whom you're responding.

HH: I just ran a search in the OT and there is not one other place where BR)$YT is followed by a verb.

If we say that the masoretes made a mistake, thisamounts to insult.Does anyone really think that the masoretes didn't see the problem ofGen. 1,1-3?

HH: I agree, but perhaps R)$YT can be used definitely without the article. This happens with numerous basic words in various languages. In Isa 46:10 the expression MR)$YT means "from the beginning," even though there is no definite article. R)$YT is used without the article at Prov 4:7, where it means something like "the first thing" or "the primary thing."

First it says that G"d created"heaven and earth", in other words, "everything", and then it goed ondescribing al the things that happened? I don't think so.

HH: Hebrew narrative often gives summary statements or overviews and then fills in the details or gives the story in detail. Genesis 1:1 can summarize what the whole chapter will discuss. There is also an intervening declarative statement in verse 2.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard