b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] LORD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: furuli AT online.no
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] LORD
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:17:06 +0100

Dear Dave,

See my comments below,

On Wednesday 12 February 2003 13:42, furuli AT online.no wrote:
Dear Michael,

Nobody would deny that some persons of the Qumran people, or perhaps
all of them used a subatitute for the tetragrammaton. But this does
not prove that other groups did the same in B.C.E.

Actually, since it has long been established that many if not most of the
scrolls were not produced at Qumran but were brought in from other places, it
does strongly suggest that the practice was quite widespread.

The words you quote from Wurthwein are not found in my 1979-edition
of his work. If you quote correctly, this is a blatant example of a
misleading statement in a book by a fine scholar. Or rather, before
it is verified that Wurthwein himself wrote these words, I am
inclined to think that a misinformed translator or editor added the
words.

Rolf,
In the 1979 edition, see page 146. Michael's 1995 edition is a revision and
hence the page numbers are different. The statement in question is opposite
the photo of the Habakkuk commentary, which in "our" edition (I also have the
1979) is on p. 147. And I checked the photographic edition of the Isaiah
scroll, and Wurthwein is right about 3:17. It does read `adonai. The scribe
has put dots (indicating erasure) under the letters of `adonai and written
YHWH above the line. I haven't checked all of the references about the
converse, but I have no doubt they're accurate: 1QIsa reads YHWH for `adonai
in those places. What does this tell us? It tells us that the scribe was
reading along and copying his exemplar, when he came to YHWH. He pronounced
it `adonai in his mind and just automatically wrote it that way, then
realized what he had done and corrected it to YHWH. In the other places, he
saw `adonai and his mind substituted YHWH. This combination of factors
indicates that YHWH was vocalized as `adonai by this scribe. And it's really
doubtful that this was an isolated practice.

Thank you for clearing up the question regarding the two editions of Wurthwein. As to the text of the Isaiah scroll, I do not of course dispute its reading. However, my advice to students and to list members is this: Do not trust the words of the experts, but look at their assumptions, and above all, look for data! There is so much traditional thinking, where conclusions are repeated over and over again and never are checked.

I will give one example from my own research. I am on the point of completing a book on ancient chronology. The basic reason for starting my research was the fact that what the Tanach says about the Babylonian exile of the Jews cannot be harmonized with modern history/chronology. The chronological work that is accepted by all is that of Parker and Dubberstein (1956). I looked at all the cuneiform tablets which are the basis of their list of intercalary months and gathered information from several thousand other tablets. What I found was that the authors were selective and did not use data which argued against their theory, and that 51 % of their intercalary months of the Persian empire are unfounded. This means that we cannot trust the traditional Persian and New Babylonian chronologies. It seems to me that nobody has bothered to collect all the data contradicting the traditional view, but that view has simply been repeated over and over again. Similar situations are found all over the line. So don't trust the authorities!

Then back to Wurthwein. When he wrote his comments on the Isaiah scroll, just a part of the DSS had been published, so a study of substitutes for the tetragrammaton would be hampered. In addition, it was generally believed (and it still is) that the substitution of YHWH by )DNY went back to the last centuries B.C.E. Wurthwein's mentioned interpretation of the Isaiah scroll was based on these two premises. This is of course one possible interpretation, but on the basis of *all* the DSS which now are published, it is very unlikely. It is much more likely that the material can be explained as textual variation. In the 470 verses of the Tanach which are doublettes, there are at least 58 differences (WAYYIQTOL in one and YIQTOL in the other vice versa, c.f. Psalm 18 and 2 Samuel 22). There is no particular system in the differences, so they are simply variants. The same would be the case in other instances. In order to bolster Wurthwein's interpretation of the isaiah scroll, one has to do the following: Study all the examples of )DNY in extra-biblical manuscripts of the DSS and point out a few examples where )DNY clearly is a substitute for YHWH (as )L clearly is in many other manuscripts). I have found none clear examples, and if such are not present, Wurthwein's interpretation is weak.

Regarding your repeated statement that the DSS substitute El rather than
`adonai, Wurthwein addresses that as well, on the same page: "In the text of
the commentary itself [the Habakkuk commentary] the tetragrammaton is avoided
and 'el is used in its place." The pHab seems to be unusual among the DSS in
this regard, especially in light of the evidence from the Isaiah scroll. So
it's a bit of an overstatement, at the very least, to say that this was the
most common practice among the DSS.

> >I have not studied very much of the DSS so I hope someone will
> >correct me if I am giving misleading information. The question was
>raised whether or not there is any preChristian evidence that
>Hebrews replaced the tetragrammaton with Lord- either in Hebrew or
>Greek. I have in front of me a couple of pages copied from Ernst
>Wurthein, The Text of the Old Testament, Grand Rapids: W. B.
>Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1995.
>Commenting on the Habakkuk Commentary, he says, "In the period of
>these manuscripts it is evident that 'adonai was read for the
>tetragrammaton because the first Isaiah scroll, for example, reads
>)DNY where M [can't reproduce the symbol he uses] has YHWH (3:17),
>and conversely (6:11; 7:14; 9:7; 21:16; 28:2." (page 158).
> >On the Papyrus Fouad Wurthein comments, "Thus, the tetragrammaton
>appears to have been an archaizing and hebraizing revision of the
> >earlier translation kurios." (page 29).
>Sincerly Yours,
> >Michael Abernathy

I do not take issue with Wurthwein's interpretation of the Isaiah scroll, particularly not when i see his assumptions. But I take issue of the words of his book which flatly state "Thus, the tetragrammaton
>appears to have been an archaizing and hebraizing revision of the earlier translation kurios." This is a fine example that indicates that we should not trust the authorities.

A Pietersma has argued along the same lines as I argue for the place of the tetragrammaton in the NT (on the basis of indirect evidence) in favor of the place of KURIOS in the original Septuagint. This is done in a fine scholarly way, although the publication of all the DSS show that his basic arguments are not valid (in my view).( See "Kyrios or Tetragram: A Renewed Quest for the Original Septuagint" in De Septuaginta Studies in Honor of John william Wevers on his sixty-fifth Birthday, eds: A. Pietersma, C. Cox (1984).). To present data and arguments is legitimate, to state something where positive data are lacking is misleading.

So everything boils down to two points:
1) How can we explain the few occurrences of )DNY in the DSS compared with the extensive use of )L, if )DNY was used as a substitute for YHWH?
2) Give a few clear examples from the DSS of )DNY used as a substitute for YHWH.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo