b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Lord - or Yahweh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: osbo AT hn.ozemail.com.au, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Lord - or Yahweh
  • Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 18:17:47 EST

In a message dated 2/8/2003 6:14:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
osbo AT hn.ozemail.com.au writes:

> Polycarp
>
> Yes, I should have used the word, transliterate not translate, however this
> does not get away from the fact that the translators as declared in the
> preface to the RSV have stated, "the use of any proper name for the one
> and only God as though there were other gods from whom he had to be
> distinguished was discontinued in Judaism before the Christian era and is
> entirely inappropriate for the universal faith of the Christian Church"
> (preface page 9) <bigsnip>

I got drawn into this discussion answering your comment/question on the RSV
preface. It then got continued much beyond what I desired. I simply do not
wish to be drawn back into this discussion.

gfsomsel
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 18:28:08 -0500
From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

At 09:14 AM 2/9/03 +1000, you wrote:

>So what is the real reason why the translators in their wisdom or lack of
>it did not translate or transliterate the Name and Titles of the God of
>Israel?
>
>An interesting matter indeed.

when luther was translating the bible he had the good sense to consult a
variety of folk to see if the word he was going to use was right for his
day. he consulted carpenters when he considered words for wood and he
consulted stonemasons, cooks, lawyers, and physicians (as well as others).
his translation is so vivid because he wisely made it relevent to the
audience he was addressing.

he translated, though, and didnt merely criticize the work of others. he
wrote a long treatise on translating which all involved in the task should
read. ein sendbrief vom dolmetischen und fuerbitte der heiligen.
particular attention should be paid to this sentence by those who wish to
criticize the work of others while not offering their own efforts to public
scrutiny:

habe damit niemand gezwungen, dass ers lese, sondern frei gelassen und
allein zu dienst getan denen, die es nicht besser machen koennen. ist
niemand verboten, ein bessers zu machen.

best

jim

Jim West, ThD

Biblical Studies Resources
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

  • Re: [b-hebrew] Lord - or Yahweh, Polycarp66, 02/08/2003