b-hebrew - Re: Joel 3:5

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Joel 3:5
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 98 23:00:11

On Fri 11 Dec 98 (13:08:05), lmartin AT vol.com wrote:
> I understand your translation and the reasoning behind it, but I doubt
> that a periphrastic would be formed by two words which are so far
> apart. Can you show me some examples elsewhere? The relative clause
> usually modifies the word or phrase immediately preceeding it, in this
> case "uWBass:RiYDiYM," thus, "the survivors whom the Lord calls."

Dear Lee,

Yes, I agree: that's the difficulty (or part of it). Perhaps the Participle
can stand on its own, with HaYaH understood: especially as TiH:YeH occurs,
albeit some way back.

Obadiah 1:17 comes to mind:
uWB:HaR TsiYYoWN TiH:YeH P:LeY+aH
and upon mount Zion there shall be a deliverance

_W:HaYaH QoDeSh_ ) [HaYaH with Participle]
and it shall be holy )

W:YaR:ShuW BeYT Ya`a:QoB 'eT MoWRaSheYHeM
and the house of Jacob shall possess their possessions

That's my best shot...

ShaLoWM
Ben
--