b-hebrew - Re: Joel 3:5

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Joel 3:5
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 13:10:01 -0500

Ben Crick wrote:

> In Joel 2:32[3:5] we have the Participle QoRe' where perhaps we might

> expect the Imperfect (shall call) or the Perfect (has called). But
the
> Particple forms a periphrastic future after TiH:YeH. You might expect
the
> TiH:YeH to be repeated; but Hebrew is an economical language, as you
know!

Dea Ben,
I understand your translation and the reasoning behind it, but I doubt
that a
periphrastic would be formed by two words which are so far apart. Can
you show me
some examples elsewhere? The relative clause usually modifies the word
or phrase
immediately preceeding it, in this case "uWBass:RiYDiYM," thus, "the
survivors whom
the Lord calls."
Lee R. Martin