b-hebrew - Re: Joel 3:5

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Joel 3:5
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 98 00:32:50

On Thu 10 Dec 98 (14:00:06), lmartin AT vol.com wrote:
> Please translate Joel 3:5.
> My specific question: Is the RSV justified in separating the last
> relative clause by means of "shall be."
> It reads: "and among the survivors shall be those whom the Lord calls."
> Therefore, the RSV makes 3:5 say two things: 1) in Jerusalem shall be
> escape, 2) in the survivors shall be called ones.

KiY B:HaR-TsiYYoWN uWBiYRuWShaLeM
For in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem

TiH:YeH P:LeY+aH Ka'a:SheR 'aMaR YHWH
there shall be a deliverance, according as YHWH has said,

uWBaSS:RiYDiYM 'a:SheR YHWH QoRe'.
and in the surviving remnant whom YHWH is calling.

In Joel 2:32[3:5] we have the Participle QoRe' where perhaps we might
expect the Imperfect (shall call) or the Perfect (has called). But the
Particple forms a periphrastic future after TiH:YeH. You might expect the
TiH:YeH to be repeated; but Hebrew is an economical language, as you know!

The ones who have called upon the name of YHWH (1:19, 2:17) will be safe
even in the eye of the storm. They alone will escape, or survive, the
coming storm which will consume the offenders (3:2[4:2]). Root PaLa+
(from which P:LeY+aH) can mean "fugitives" who had "run away" in flight,
as well as "survivors" who simply sat still and survived: Joshua 8:22;
Jeremiah 42:17.

Paul quotes Joel 2:32a in Romans 10:13, indicating that Gentiles as well as
Jews will be among those escaping; and of course Peter quotes it in Acts
2:21.

Y:HoWShaPa+ is not to be taken as a proper name (Jehoshaphat), but as a
statement "YHWH has judged". The "valley" `eMeQ could be the GeY-HiNNoWM,
the place where King Josiah "defiled Topheth" where abominations had been
committed (2 Kings 23:10). IMHO that is. WDYT?

ShaLoWM
Ben
--
Revd Ben Crick, BA CF