b-hebrew - Re: Joel 3:5

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: "Ben Crick" <ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk>
  • Cc: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Joel 3:5
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 08:51:58 -0500

Dear Ben,
Thanks for your reply. I am sorry that we are not communicating well. The
verse you list below does not have a relative clause, so it does not address
my question. If I can think of a new way to state the question, I will get
back to you. Otherwise, I give up.

The post from Trevor Peterson gives Gen. 18:17 as a parallel, and it is
probably sufficient to show that the RSV could be correct. I will not send
a separate response to Trevor (Thanks Trevor).

Lee R. Martin

>On Fri 11 Dec 98 (13:08:05), lmartin AT vol.com wrote:
>> I understand your translation and the reasoning behind it, but I doubt
>> that a periphrastic would be formed by two words which are so far
>> apart. Can you show me some examples elsewhere? The relative clause
>> usually modifies the word or phrase immediately preceeding it, in this
>> case "uWBass:RiYDiYM," thus, "the survivors whom the Lord calls."
>>
> Dear Lee,
>
> Yes, I agree: that's the difficulty (or part of it). Perhaps the
Participle