b-hebrew - Re: Joel 3:5

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Joel 3:5
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 07:14:13 -0500

good morning, Lee!

i think the RSV is justified in its repetition of the "shall be". i think
tihyeh has simply elided from the "c" portion of the verse. qoreh the
participle is expressing the immanent future as it often does, so i don't
like their decision to render it generically. i prefer "whom the Lord is
calling."

suppose we ammend the text as per the BHS note. then we have "for in Mount
Zion and in Jerusalem will be a remnant as YHWH has said, and (in Jerusalem
will be), survivors whom YHWH is calling." it makes sense to me. it is
consistent with the conventions of BH poetry.

of course, i'm loathe to amend the text. if we *do not* amend the text,
can we still understand y:ru$alayim to have elided from the "c" part of the
verse as well as tihyeh?

Shalom,
Bryan

----------
> From: Lee R. Martin <lmartin AT vol.com>
> To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
> Subject: Joel 3:5
> Date: Thursday, December 10, 1998 2:00 PM
>
> To one and all,
>
> Please translate Joel 3:5.
> My specific question: Is the RSV justified in separating the last
> relative clause by means of "shall be."
> It reads: "and among the survivors shall be those whom the Lord calls."
> Therefore, the RSV makes 3:5 say two things: 1) in Jerusalem shall be
> escape, 2) in the survivors shall be called ones.
>
> I prefer the following translation: "In Mount Zion and in Jerusalem
> there shall be escape and among those whom Yahweh shall be calling."
> Another way to write it would be "In Mount Zion, in Jerusalem, in the
> God-Called-Survivors there shall be escape."
>
> The last clause uses the participle because the action of calling is
> simultaneous with the "escape" earlier in the verse. The escape becomes
> more specific/narrow-focused as the verse comes to a close. Escape will
> be in Mt. Zion, which is Jerusalem, but more specifically, escape will
> be among the God-Called-Remnant.
>
> Also notice the repetition of "call," and the synonyms for "deliver/
> escape."
>
> Any comments? Ideas?

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor