permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [OT] My Vision of the Future (now!)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Michael Elvin <marimike6@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [OT] My Vision of the Future (now!)
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 17:02:30 +0000 (UTC)

"America and Russia, thugs in China and Iran, others in the middle east and
the far east. Those who want to blame America for all that they see as evil
in the world really should try to make a go of it in some other country
where your wildest fantasies of oppression would surely come true. This is
my standard boilerplate reply to the America haters with an extra layer of
icing for those ingrates who actually live there."
I see your point, Lawrence. But it's not a matter of blaming, or hating,
America. Regardless of whether life in the US may be a little easier than
life in some other country, if we take a position of being pro-American we
tend to become a little anti-everyone else (the "thugs"). And so the wars
will continue, with one nation fighting another in the name of peace. I was
hoping instead to lead the discussion toward a place where there were no big
winners, and so no big losers.  Call it an egalitarian society, or one closer
to the anarchic ideal. And toward such an end, the ambitions of the current
leading contenders for mastery of the planet (the leaders of our Great War on
Terror) should in my mind be curbed. Otherwise their most successful
politicians will end up controlling us all.
~~~~~~~
Your other suggestion, of propagating worker-owned co-ops, is a fine one.
Instead of the old model, where the owners battle the workers and either
Capitalism or Communism wins the game, you have a condition where no battle
is possible-- the owners and the workers are the same people. Every time they
hold a meeting they decide how much of the profits get put into their own
pockets and how much get plowed back into the company they all jointly own.
Mondragon. It's the wave of the future. But it needs both worker education
and seed money.

On Thursday, August 4, 2016 12:02 PM, Lawrence London
<lfljvenaura@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 11:36 AM, Georg Parlow <g.parlow@gmx.at> wrote:
M.E. writes:

> > That scenario makes real solutions easier to see. More acceptance of the
> need for birth control, and greater redistribution of concentrated wealth.
> Those would be my own starting priorities.
>
> GP writes:

> Correct me if I am wrong, but in my eyes these are not "real solutions",
> but just pipe dreams once again. Or else - how actually DO you start on
> these?

Without birth cntrol the Earth would be overrun with people in numbers well
beyond the carrying capacity of Earth. When that happens and noone is
willing to feed, house and take care of the excess population enter the
fascists and we know what their methods of population control are.

"Greater distribution of concentrated wealth" is easily accomplished with
self-starters, motivated people who take responsibility for their well
being by establishing Mondragon format production cooperatives, intentional
communities with shared basic resources and on and on and on. I have posted
my ideas about this a hundred times in this list, even a special version
for you, Georg, for your community work in Austria. I like the idea of a
services and production networking, marketing and distribution system with
nodes all across a country, connected by the Internet using free, easy to
set up and maintain resources.

LL

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com

>From lfljvenaura@gmail.com Thu Aug 4 13:44:46 2016
h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to;
bh=dz/a9a/eq1fU2+/lv4kMDLWTZG4q+aKZcj/Wdkbmpuc=;
b=DQZXt833SWjuZK08UWgYhRCEXjaOwGIXYrEXY35jixeup4aA6KIjFBkZsYajsnc4/S
EuU0sA5Raq8+riirhCrgFVtxTf/aXwwJBPyQqJi4szhzqqnQLdaDrEhK0iT5LBEXirs5
WyN2FS+/i0lMZMVAelvu64HGU9tFwyHrj3KOoiwTYZvk0cu5U92kcqDpTpDxp7TNoaNV
6aWUZWu/GaczU526d866L+osEEvWPACTFE8G3024wHJRuH4V5vPaNV871j+KuRuDUBkZ
0raztQFM0r/qpSoWzJtYic+a3aGGm1mAyDy29ILIH/Lpof225pOUUnXRz2MyEHVo/VVT
y5Nw=X-Google-DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
d100.net; s 130820;
h=x-gm-message-state:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date
:message-id:subject:to;
bh=dz/a9a/eq1fU2+/lv4kMDLWTZG4q+aKZcj/Wdkbmpuc=;
b=iI/HQou/eujXeM9N3CQBNYuGRJE/GFU2msL2rW8b64YKmQq/Dwk8NZKtSraiz+g1dA
3eFZ2oaWFMp+TfF+AYqkl0jq6KoqL1FzD5k2XZLFZ7sM8neY+7Uys20nlDttwgFVgbCH
IAsQQnROjAVdgVkbeqbgwm5wGyamdVzGc/IHNUPCdK5Zz+u8asXcJbZY4OwWq+8iJMeD
d/9ndP2OKgeV+qqnFV/wOr6sSwVN6uhXfN/jrgEbhKtOrCwl60sCUVrTZf2hJQRlMEGd
o29SN2VaI/VAeL8zxYa4oV9xhOtj53Q7V8yBKwvwMSkKs1SQFh4ivG+GHeSXE4TmM5u4
Tbzg=X-Gm-Message-State:
AEkoousPZYG+i9LbWhvV8HCdSdwduxQHzfKcN5WKRY8V2rp6QfVpz0ifOuas5LJnxwMiXYqv+bB5qr83k6ZBnQ=X-Received:
by 10.25.212.212 with SMTP id l203mr13880888lfg.2.1470332674202;
Thu, 04 Aug 2016 10:44:34 -0700 (PDT)