permaculture - [permaculture] Carbon sequestration in trees [was: Earthships}

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Gene Monaco" <efmonaco@comcast.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Carbon sequestration in trees [was: Earthships}
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 15:10:32 -0400

Folks,
I'm curious about CO2 sequestration analysis in same-diameter trees as
referenced below. Seems like the soil micro-biomass does as much or more of
the carbon storage than the trunk and mast. How much depends on the overall
health of the forest, the depth of the root system, biomass, and the extent
to which the fungal community is intact and growing (vs. disturbed). In
that sense an older-growth system may have many times the biomass below
ground of a similar-sized tree in a tree farm, even if the wood burns with
the same BTU/CF. Any thoughts?
-Gene

RE:
<Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 23:04:50 -0400
From: Scott Vlaun <scott@moosepondarts.com>
I have to agree with Toby here. I cut lots of firewood and some timber from
both wide open areas that were cut hard before I bought them 20 years ago,
and from under deep canopy in forest that hasn't been touched in 70 or more
years. A 15 year old red maple and a 50 year old red maple might both
achieve the same diameter, in this case around 8 inches or so at breast
height. When I burn the dry wood I really can't tell the difference. The one
from the open woodlot has simply stored a lot more energy. Ditto on eastern
white pine timbers where growth rings can range from under a mm to 5 mm.
When we are moving the around the are all pretty close in weight and I
assume carbon sequestered per volume.

Scott Vlaun
Center for an Ecology-Based Economy 207 520 0575>

  • [permaculture] Carbon sequestration in trees [was: Earthships}, Gene Monaco, 08/04/2016