permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [OT] My Vision of the Future (now!)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <scott@permaculture.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [OT] My Vision of the Future (now!)
  • Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2016 08:16:10 -0600

I think more education is called for but an education of the heart rather
than the mind. More attention to being stll, and I am not referring to ADD
but to a stillness that allows one to merge with ones environment and that
includes fellow humans.
Whenever I teach the Teacher Training course my focus is on teaching from the
heart. If we are able to love our students we are better equipped to
understand their need, empathize with that need and compassionately respond.

In my earlier post I spoke to what I thought was the audience of this list
serve. Vaidia took the conversation to the postgraduate level which thoughts
I agree with but are we at that level as a group? I don't think so. I think
that most of us are still in the forest or garden finding peace and
tranquility in providing food or conviviality for our loved ones. We are
mostly focused on "caring" in the most material way and that is what is the
primary teaching of permaculture. To my mind the work on the material
(visible) world should take second place to the work on the invisible.

The invisible should begin with ethics because that should be the root of our
economic, legal, and social systems. When I say that I mean ethics that have
replaced "Care" with "Love". Not the love that "requires an other but the
love that pours from ones inner being in response to the suffering of our
total biosphere. Buddha taught compassion, Jesus Christ taught love I think
they were talking about the same phenomena.