permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [OT] My Vision of the Future (now!)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [OT] My Vision of the Future (now!)
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 11:50:24 -0400

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 10:23 AM, Michael Elvin <marimike6@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I get your point, John-- and it's an important one. Nature is red in tooth
> and claw-- but it's necessary. Otherwise we have no way of weeding out the
> weak, and making the world a comfortable place for the strong. In time we
> would be crowded out by weaklings and misfits, who should not be taking up
> space better used by the winners in life.
> This is a perfect justification-- when transferred to the social plane--
> for fascism. How much better for the world if the true winners (the most
> heavily armed and organized among us) were to crush the losers once and for
> all. Then liberty and justice could reign for all time.

You miss John's valid point as you comment on something entirely different:
Jd'H:
"It is not as simple as the big ones eat the small ones in nature Michael.
The big predators are necessary for the health of ecosystems. Take out the
apex predators and often you see everything collapsing with some of the
smaller ones that were kept in check now exploding and pushing out several
entire species. In other words, making the whole a lot poorer.
Nature is not simply amoral. It strives for maximal biomass and that means
maximal diversity. And that means lots of eating and getting eaten."

America-- that being the nation that's the current contender for global
> overlord-- would inherit the planet. And tell everyone how to live.

America and Russia, thugs in China and Iran, others in the middle east and
the far east. Those who want to blame America for all that they see as evil
in the world really should try to make a go of it in some other country
where your wildest fantasies of oppression would surely come true. This is
my standard boilerplate reply to the America haters with an extra layer of
icing for those ingrates who actually live there.

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com