baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 11:58:32 +1300

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> The DefaultColorDepth line is not there to start with.
> Apparently you have to type it in yourself. I checked
> both the vga16 configuration file that you set up for us,

The default XF86Config for BL2 is a simplified file for
VGA only. It is set for 16 colors, which is the best
you can do on the xvg16.tgz Xserver.

> and the one that I made for my accel card (S3).

DefaultColorDepth is a standard parameter in the Screen
section of /etc/XF86Config
--------------
man XF86Config
--------------

> When I tried with my card and xs3.tgz it would not even start X.

There are many possible reasons why X did not start.
It does not necessarily mean you were using the wrong Xserver.

> S3 seems to be fussy about its monitors.

It's fussy about the settings you put in XF86Config.

> It won't work with two of ours. I set the monitor definitions
> to rather conservative settings,

Initially, it took me six hours (!) of trial and error to find
a workable setting for my monitor (other than VGA). However,
once I had those settings, it was easy from then on. Twice I
have moved that monitor to a different system (with different
video card, requiring a different Xserver). Each time, it took
only a couple of minutes to get hi-res X running (because I had
the right monitor settings from the start).

> What horiz and vert settings are working with your S3 Trio64V+
> cards?

The horiz/vert settings have nothing to do with the video card.
They are specific to the monitor being used and remain the same,
even when you change video cards.

---------- /etc/XF86Config ---------------------------------------------
Section "Monitor"

Identifier "Primary Monitor"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Unknown"
HorizSync 31.5-37.9
VertRefresh 55-90
Modeline "800x600" 40.00 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628 +hsync +vsync
Modeline "640x480" 31.50 640 656 720 840 480 481 484 500 -hsync -vsync
EndSection

> The only monitor info I have is for the NCR monitor,

If you google around, you will find info on lots of monitors.

> I copied over your printer lines exactly and my printer still
> won't print graphics.

My printer lines were for a specific printer, hooked to a
specific printer port. Your situation is probably different.
It also is necessary to have the correct filter, in the
correct place. Moreover, I am completely unfamiliar with
inkjet printers (never had one) and have no idea which filter
parameters are appropriate for such a printer.

I have never claimed to be a printer guru. I managed to get
my own printer (epson dot-matrix) working, but that's the
extent of my experience.

> Other than give up, what should I do next? Try a Panasonic
> ribbon printer?

Do you have an 24pin Epson-compatible dot-matrix? If so,
I could send you my exact setup.