baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 09:54:14 +1300

Ron Clarke wrote:

> > When exactly do you get "unknown printer"?
> > When you try to print something?
>
> Yes, and all subsequent attemps to use lpr.

lpr uses lp as the default printer. If the printer is
unknown, then it probably means either (1) lpr is unable
to read to read /etc/printcap (perhaps because of a
permission problem) or (2) it can find no valid data for
lp in /etc/printcap.

Here is your /etc/printcap
lp|ps|PS|PostScript:sh:mx#0:\
:lp=/dev/lp0:\
:sd=/var/spool/lpd/postscript:\
:if=/var/spool/lpd/postscript/deskjet.filter:\
It looks OK, except for that last \ (which I probably
included in error from my own printcap). Try removing the
terminating \ from the last line (only) and restarting lpd.

I assume /var/spool/lpd/postscript/deskjet.filter exists
(with appropriate permissions)?

> Seems that some of my queries have gone astray - my ISP's
> mail server is sometimes a little flakey. :(

Sorry about the breakdown in communication. Perhaps my own
ISP is at fault? Since mid-December I've been getting
sporatic authentication problems.

> I AM adding extra applications to BasicLinux 2.1, including
> sound (playing of MP3s at least), xanim (poor quality mpeg player),
> RealPlayer8 (and this is a real success, believe it or not, now
> that I have more colours in icewm), and the extra browsers, xpdf,
> gv, ImageMagic.

Have you tried xv? Both Sindi and I like it and it's an easy
install.

> > -------------------------------------
> > Section "Screen"
> >
> > Driver "Accel"
> >
> > Device "Primary Card"
> >
> > Monitor "Primary Monitor"
> >
> > DefaultColorDepth 16

> Not in my version of that.

I assume it was generated by xf86config (or perhaps XF86Setup
-- I can't remember which I used to do that file originally).

> is there any way to make the CLI screen other than black ?

Perhaps one of the setterm parameters will do what you want?
For example:
setterm -inversescreen