baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 08:47:15 +0000

Hi Sindi,

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 14:56:03 -0500 (EST)
Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com> wrote:
> What percentage of basiclinux users actually ever succeed in printing
> anything besides plain text?
>
> I did chmod +x to printcap as well as to the copies of deskjet.filter in
> both /ghostscript/ and /postscript/. I killed lpd and loaded it again. I
> am still not even getting a page feed any more.
>

> > Regards,
> > Ron
> >
> Ron did you ever get this working?

No ! :(

And I have given up trying. No matter what I did, I always get:
"unknown printer"

And with all respect, both PRINT- and USAGE-HOWTO's did not shed any
light on
the problem.

If I ever, EVER, consider moving my business from DOS to Linux, it would
have
to be with a working (and printing) Linux word processer. Looks like it is
not
going to be anytime soon. :(

But at least SYLPHEED is now working, along with Links, Netscape, and - at
last - mpg123 plays MP3s. And I am about to try installing Opera.static.

And I will try to get the ICEWM to stretch to more than 16 colours (I
have 64
MB RAM on an AMD K6, with a 2 MB Diamond Stealth video card and a newish
flat-screen monitor fer-forks-sake). Steven: You have said "increase
colordepth"
but I have not yet found a configuration file that has "colordepth" as an
editable parameter. I still get icewm changing to unreadable colours when I
place
the mouse over any application (like Links-colour, Display, XPDF,
RealPlayer8),
and anything run in an xterm is in black and white and almost unreadable
(e.g. MC, Camp, xaumix).

I know it is a steep learning curve, but this one needs cramp-ons and a
rope!

BTW: I have found the easiest way to find stuff in MANIFEST.GZ is to view
(F3) it
with MC and use the search (F7) facility.

And a Happy New Year to all. It is morning of 1st January 2004 in Oz.
For some, this is the future.

Regards,
Ron