baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 19:15:16 +1300

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> > No matter what I did, I always get: "unknown printer"
>
> I don't even get that. I do lpr filename.ps and nothing happens

You are probably ahead of Ron. I suspect that Ron's message
is being generated because his printer is not found by lpd.
At least your printer is getting something (didn't you say
previously that your printer was outputting a blank page?)

> then run the doinstall.sh script (I forget how - sh doinstall.sh?)

Just execute it:
------------
doinstall.sh
------------

> I did not see anything called "defaultcolordepth".

-------------------------------------
Section "Screen"

Driver "Accel"

Device "Primary Card"

Monitor "Primary Monitor"

DefaultColorDepth 16

-------------------------------------

> > 2 MB Diamond Stealth video card
>
> What video chip is on this card? Did you install xsvga.tgz?
>
> There is a file Cards that lists what server is used with
> what video chip.

/var/X11R6/lib/Cards

> I think the Cards file also lists things by card name as
> well as chip name.

The file has listings for:
Diamond Stealth 24
Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM with S3 SDAC
Diamond Stealth64 Graphics 2xx0 series (864 + SDAC)
Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM with S3 Trio64
Diamond Stealth64 Graphics 2xx0 series (Trio64)
Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM SE
Diamond Stealth64 Video 2001 series (2121/2201)
Diamond Stealth Video DRAM
Diamond Stealth64 Video 2120/2200
Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM
Diamond Stealth64 Video 3200
Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM (TI RAMDAC)
Diamond Stealth64 Video 3240/3400 (TI RAMDAC)
Diamond Stealth64 Video 3240/3400 (IBM RAMDAC)
Diamond Stealth Pro
Diamond Stealth VRAM
Diamond Stealth 3D 2000
Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 PRO
Diamond Multimedia Stealth 3D 2000
Diamond Multimedia Stealth 3D 2000 PRO
Diamond Stealth 3D 3000
Diamond Stealth 3D 4000
Diamond Stealth III (S520/S540)
Diamond Stealth 32
Diamond Stealth64 Graphics 2001 series
Diamond Stealth Video 2500
Diamond Stealth II S220
Diamond Stealth II/G460 AGP
I've only had a quick look at them, but most seem to use
xs3.tgz (although I also saw ones that use xsvga.tgz and
xw32.tgz).

> It took me a long time to even get 256 colors working
> (and I gave up with one S3 Trio64V+ card).

I have two S3 Trio64V+ cards and they both run very nicely
using xs3.tgz (please note that's xs3.tgz *not* xs3v.tgz).

> I installed less. I type zless MANIFEST.gz and search with /.

If you edit /usr/bin/readzip to change "more" to "less",
You will be able to do the same thing from d