baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 08:36:57 +0000

Hi Sindi

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 18:23:45 -0500 (EST)
Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com> wrote:
> Opera was easy, once I followed Steven's instructions instead of using
> installpkg. tar -zxvf opera.tgz (the full file name) and then run the
> doinstall.sh script (I forget how - sh doinstall.sh?). Opera will work
> with even the 2-color mono server but with that one you get no images at
> all.

I have opera in and working. :)
Also Netscape.

> > And I will try to get the ICEWM to stretch to more than 16 colours

> What video chip is on this card?

S3 ViRGE

> Did you install xsvga.tgz?

Yep.

> With that one I can only get 8-bit color (256 colors). With xvga16 only
> 16 colors. That is the default unless you install xsvga or another
> Xserver and also run xf86config (or setup from another package) and choose
> your modes correctly. Did you do both of these?

Yep, did that too.

> I can change the color depth with startx for my S3 card with XS3.tgz
> installed. I did not see anything called "defaultcolordepth". The
> default is 8-bit 256 colors.

I haven't installed xs3.tgz on this machine yet, and it looks like I
probably don't need to.

> startx -- -bpp24 should give 24-bit color if things are working right.

That was the hint (and a short dose of RTFM) that I needed.
All is now as I wanted it 800x600 and 245 colours. No more colour switches as
wave the mouse over different application windows.

> What exactly did you do other than install BL2-X.tgz to get to your X
> screen with too few colors?

Just a plain vanilla install as per Steven's instructions. I was coming at
this machine from another that had a monitor that wouldn't do 800x600 anyway.

> > I know it is a steep learning curve, but this one needs cramp-ons
> > and a
> > rope!
>
> And a few helpful people pulling from the top.

You got that right. :)

Regards,
Ron