baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Printing from Abiword in BL2
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 17:30:36 +1300

Ron Clarke wrote:

> And I have given up trying.

Really? We had only just started working on your printer.

> No matter what I did, I always get:
> "unknown printer"

I wish you had reported that error before giving up.
It would have given us something to work with.

When exactly do you get "unknown printer"?
When you do the insmods?
When you do the lpd?
When you try to print something? With lpr?

I suspect that the "unknown printer" arises because
your printer device is not being found. When you do
the insmods, what lp device does it activate? lp0? lp1?

That device (lp0/lp1) must be the same in your /etc/printcap
------------- -------------
:lp=/dev/lp0: -or- :lp=/dev/lp1:
------------- -------------
Please note: the initial lp on that line is *not* changed,
nor is the initial lp on the first line.

For your printer to work, your /etc/printcap must be perfect
(and lpd must be started subsequent to any changes). Even a
small typographical error can stop everything working. If you
seriously want to get this working, please make an exact copy
of your /etc/printcap and show it to us.

> And with all respect, both PRINT- and USAGE-HOWTO's did not
> shed any light on the problem.

Then, why didn't you ask here? I realize that Sindi has asked
several questions about this topic, but her situation is not the
same as yours.

> If I ever, EVER, consider moving my business from DOS to
> Linux, it would have to be with a working (and printing)
> Linux word processer.

At no time have I suggested that people should run a business
on BasicLinux. BasicLinux is just a mini-distribution. Adding
applications to BasicLinux requires quite a bit of knowledge.
Perhaps you should use a fuller version of Linux, that includes
the desired applications by default (with a user-friendly wizard
to configure them correctly)?

> You have said "increase colordepth" but I have not yet found
> a configuration file

/etc/XF86Config

> that has "colordepth" as an editable parameter.

-------------------------------------
Section "Screen"

Driver "Accel"

Device "Primary Card"

Monitor "Primary Monitor"

DefaultColorDepth 16

-------------------------------------

> I still get icewm changing to unreadable colours when I place
> the mouse over any application (like Links-colour, Display, XPDF,
> RealPlayer8), and anything run in an xterm is in black and white
> and almost unreadable (e.g. MC, Camp, xaumix).

Which Xserver are you using? The default Xserver (VGA16) is
not the best. You will get a much more attractive screen display
if you install (1) an Xserver with better resolution and (2) some
additional font packages.

> BTW: I have found the easiest way to find stuff in MANIFEST.GZ
> is to view (F3) it with MC and use the search (F7) facility.

Links works the same way, except it is right-arrow to view
and / to search.